Product Liability & Toxic Tort Litigation
To the seasoned practitioner product liability cases offer opportunities to cut through the grinding expense and delay that characterize most litigation, in order to achieve more efficient and timely resolutions. Through experience gained in hundreds of cases across the country and abroad, involving a wide range of industrial and consumer products for domestic and foreign manufacturers and distributors, Goldberg Kohn has learned to acquire quickly an insider's mastery of the product and of its use and misuse. The firm is adept at gathering insight into the client's business processes, financial objectives and litigation culture. This perspective, together with targeted discovery and experience with many of the finest expert witnesses in a variety of fields, maximizes the ability to recognize and create opportunities to achieve optimal settlements or to press for prompt resolution through trial or administrative hearings.
Goldberg Kohn's experience covers all aspects of product liability matters, starting with prevention counseling and continuing through trial and appeal, and includes technical fields such as chemical, electrical and mechanical engineering. Members of the Product Liability & Toxic Tort Group are actively involved in national product liability associations, including the Defense Research Institute, the Industrial Truck Association and the Meritas Product Liability Group. In addition, Goldberg Kohn attorneys have lectured extensively on product liability and toxic tort matters.
Toxic Tort Litigation
The firm has broad experience in the defense of toxic tort and long-term exposure litigation. In particular, Goldberg Kohn has experience in defending manufacturers against which numerous claims have been asserted, seeking recovery for damages allegedly caused by exposure to asbestos. The firm's attorneys have also been involved in the defense of claims made against manufacturers regarding cancer and other diseases allegedly caused by exposure to certain chemicals within the workplace.
Although the primary role of the Product Liability & Toxic Tort Group is to provide legal guidance and litigation skills, Goldberg Kohn attorneys also possess technical know-how, which they use to consult with clients and with outside consultants required in toxic tort cases. In addition, the firm has significant experience in dealing with the state and federal agencies that are often involved in toxic tort matters.
- The firm has handled sensitive internal investigations for a national laboratory, a major research university and successfully represented a national law firm being investigated by the United States Department of Justice in five federal jurisdictions across the country. At the conclusion of the investigation, the DOJ decided to take no adverse action against the firm’s client. The firm has experience litigating a wide variety of product liability and toxic tort cases for industrial and high-tech manufacturers as evident in the matters below.
- Served as national counsel for a heavy construction and mining equipment manufacturer in product liability and warranty matters.
- Served as regional trial and coordinating counsel for a leading manufacturer of industrial equipment in product liability matters.
- Represented an international manufacturer in toxic tort litigation concerning various workplace chemicals.
- Served as primary counsel providing consultation to a major international hi-tech manufacturer throughout the world on product liability matters.
- Defended manufacturers whose products are linked to catastrophes and to catastrophic loss litigation.