Marsha Hoover is a principal and chairs the firm's Intellectual Property Group. Ms. Hoover assists clients in connection with trademark, copyright, trade secrets, and identity rights. She plays an active role in securing and protecting clients intellectual property assets, providing services that include trademark clearance and prosecution, negotiating licenses, counseling regarding marketing compliance and advertising, drafting privacy policies, and managing conflicts and litigation.
Her significant experience includes serving as primary outside trademark counsel to a Fortune 100 company, oversight of worldwide trademark prosecution and maintenance for global publishing and entertainment companies, clearing public domain sources for creative works, and handling due diligence investigations and disclosures in transactions.
In 2013, she was selected as a "Top Rated Lawyers in Intellectual Property" by American Lawyer Media, the legal industry's leading trade publisher. Every year since 2013 she has been listed in the WTR 1000 by the World Trademark Review. She was also named a 2017 Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters.
Ms. Hoover completed a two-year judicial clerkship for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois before beginning her private practice in commercial litigation. She earned her J.D. from the Northwestern University School of Law and her B.S. from Northwestern University.
Successfully a defended client in federal suit claiming breach of privacy rights and false advertising.
- Enforced client rights in character, securing the cessation of broadcast and webcast of infringing imitation advertisements.
- Through negotiation, caused a major television network to change its iPad application to remove a client’s trademark.
- Litigated federal false advertising case to successful settlement.
- February 1, 2017
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D.
- Northwestern University, B.S.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- International Trademark Association
- American Bar Association
- Copyright Society of the USA
- Member, Board of Trustees, Union League Club of Chicago Boys & Girls Clubs