Dimitri Karcazes is a principal in the firm’s Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights Group. Mr. Karcazes primarily represents lenders in the protection and enforcement of creditors’ rights and is involved in all aspects of commercial workouts and bankruptcies, including restructurings, reorganizations, sales and liquidations, as well as out-of-court workouts and assignments for the benefit of creditors. He has considerable experience with high-yield, distressed debt, intercreditor and subordinated debt matters. He has handled transactions and cases throughout the United States and in Canada, Mexico and the European Union.
A frequent speaker and panelist on bankruptcy and commercial finance issues in the United States and abroad, Mr. Karcazes has presented to organizations which include the American Bar Association, American Bankruptcy Institute, Chicago Bar Association, Commercial Finance Association, Risk Management Association, INSOL Europe, and the Turnaround Management Association, on such topics as DIP financing and the use of cash collateral, second lien financing/intercreditor agreements, cross-border ABL lending and workouts, Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code, and 363 sales from a secured creditor perspective.
As a commissioner from the State of Illinois to the Uniform Law Commission, Mr. Karcazes was recently appointed to the drafting committee on Amendments to the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act. He also served on the committee drafting the Uniform Statutory Trust Entity Act and the committee to harmonize the laws of the United States, Mexico and Canada with respect to the Convention on the Assignment of Receivables in International Trade.
Mr. Karcazes is admitted to practice in Illinois. He received his law degree, with honors, in 1999 from the University of Chicago, and his B.A., with honors, in 1996 from the University of Chicago, where he was elected Phi Beta Kappa. Mr. Karcazes has been recognized by Chambers USA and as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers. He is a member of the American, Chicago and Hellenic Bar Associations, as well as the Turnaround Management Association and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- January 13, 2014
- May 28, 2013
- June 8, 2012
- Goldberg Kohn Recognized in 2011 Chambers Global and Chambers USA as a Top Law Firm in the United StatesJune 10, 2011
- Goldberg Kohn and Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen co-hosted the Commercial Finance Association's first International Asset-Based Lending Workshop in ChicagoApril 18, 2007
- January 1, 2007
- December 21, 2006
- June 6, 2006
- January 1, 2005American Bankruptcy Institute
- October 1, 2003Reproduced with permission from "ABF Journal"
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- June 14, 2011
- October 20, 2010
- June 3, 2010
- May 11, 2010
- March 25, 2010
- December 3, 2009
- March 25, 2009
- October 30, 2008
- March 5-6, 2008
- October 11 - October 14, 2007
- University of Chicago, J.D., with honors, 1999
- University of Chicago, B.A., with honors, 1996
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Hellenic Bar Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute