David Chizewer is a principal in the firm's Litigation Group. He is a nationally recognized trial lawyer and has been featured in the National Law Journal’s list of 10 of the nation’s top litigators. He has been named Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Public Justice Foundation and was separately a runner-up for that same award. He has also been named Lawyer of the Year by the Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund, and has received the Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service by the Federal Court in Chicago on two separate occasions.
Mr. Chizewer served as co-lead trial counsel in two widely acclaimed cases. He was co-lead trial counsel for Plaintiffs, and obtained the largest verdict and judgment in the history of the federal False Claim Act ($334 million), in the case captioned, United States of America ex rel. Cleveland A. Tyson, et al. v. Amerigroup Corporation, et al. Mr. Chizewer was also co-lead trial counsel for a class of 600,000 children on Medicaid against the State of Illinois in the federal case captioned, Memisovski, et al. v. Patla, obtaining some of the most sweeping reforms ever to a state Medicaid program. Mr. Chizewer's false claims act cases have returned more than a half billion dollars to government treasuries.
On the defense side, Mr. Chizewer has been entrusted to try and defend bet-the-company cases, including trying a case in a rural, plaintiff-friendly district, where he obtained a remarkable result, even in the face of extreme jury bias. He was named by Chambers USA 2014 as a leading lawyer in the United States. Mr. Chizewer has also been repeatedly named one of Super Lawyer's top lawyers.
He served as lead counsel to one of the principal defendants in the Multi-District Class Action Litigation captioned, In Re Ocwen Federal Bank Mortgage Servicing Litigation, pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and was elected to represent more than 200 Third-Party Defendants in the Multi-District Litigation captioned, In Re Ameriquest.
Mr. Chizewer has served as an expert witness on issues of federal civil procedure and is a frequent author and speaker, including at the National Advocacy Center, the Federal Judicial Center, and the law schools of Cornell and Berkeley.
In a civic capacity, Mr. Chizewer is at the forefront of the legal issues affecting the education reform movement. He is one of the founders and past Board President of the Chicago International Charter School, one of the nation's largest charter schools and also founded the Illinois Network of Charter Schools. He was a member of the Education Policy Group for the Barack Obama U.S. Senate and Presidential Campaigns. In May 2005, he argued a seminal charter school case before the Illinois Supreme Court.
As a result of Mr. Chizewer's civic leadership, he was selected a Leadership Fellow for the 2003-2004 Leadership Greater Chicago Program. Past fellows include Michelle Obama, John W. Rogers, Jr. and Valerie Jarrett.
Mr. Chizewer received his law degree from the University of Chicago in 1991 and his B.A. in economics, magna cum laude, from Pomona College in 1988. He was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
- Team Health Holdings, Inc. Pays $60 Million To Settle Whistleblower Lawsuit Alleging Systematic Overbilling By Its PhysiciansFebruary 6, 2017
- January 19, 2017Northwest Indiana Times
- January 14, 2017Chicago Tribune
- January 13, 2017
- December 6, 2016
- November 16, 2016
- October 11, 2016
- May 26, 2016
- January 8, 2016
- December 11, 2015
- June 11, 2015
- May 29, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- May 23, 2014Chambers USA 2014
- April 9, 2014Chicago Tonight
- April 4, 2014Corporate Disputes
- January 13, 2014
- August 7, 2013Chicago Tribune
- March 1, 2013Chicago Lawyer
- February 6, 2013Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- April 26, 2010Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- March 22, 2010
- April 26, 2010Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- March 2, 2016
- November 10, 2015
- June 18, 2015
- David Chizewer Presents at 7th Circuit Bar Association and Judicial Conference of the Seventh CircuitMay 8, 2015
- David Chizewer Presents at ABA National Institute on the Civil False Claims Act and Qui Tam EnforcementJune 3, 2014
- November 19, 2013
- November 15, 2013
- David Chizewer Moderates Panel at Thirteenth Annual Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund Conference & Awards DinnerOctober 25, 2013
- October 14, 2013
- David Chizewer Speaks at 2012 ABA National Institute on the Civil False Claims Act and Qui Tam EnforcementJune 6 - 8, 2012
- February 3, 2011
- Principal David Chizewer Moderates Panel Discussion at Tenth Annual Taxpayers Against Fraud ConferenceNovember 2, 2010
- University of Chicago, J.D., 1991
- Pomona College, B.A. in economics, magna cum laude, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court