Deborah Hogan is Of Counsel in the firm’s Litigation Group. Her practice focuses on complex commercial litigation. In recent years, Ms. Hogan has represented corporate clients, large and small, in matters involving contract disputes, consumer fraud class action claims, copyright infringement claims, construction litigation, real estate disputes, employment issues, professional negligence and malpractice, fraudulent transfer claims, and bankruptcy-related litigation.
Ms. Hogan has tried numerous cases in state and federal court and in private arbitration; she has represented several clients in mediation of complex disputes; and she has successfully prosecuted and defended appeals before the Illinois Appellate Court and the Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. She received her law degree, cum laude, in 1995 and her B.A. in economics and political science in 1992 from Northwestern University. She is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts in Illinois.
- Representing privately-held technology company in prosecution of software copyright infringement claims
- Representing national telecommunications provider involving dispute over violations of provider’s Acceptable Use Policy and the distribution of unsolicited bulk email advertising
- Securing early dismissal of arbitration claim on behalf of large national advertising agency involving dispute over former employee’s stock options
- Representing large national advertising agency in dispute involving multi-million dollar sponsorship agreement
- Representing large national energy company in arbitration involving multi-million dollar outsourced services agreement
- Securing dismissal from the trial court, and affirmance of that ruling on appeal from the Illinois Appellate Court, of consumer fraud class action claims brought against national energy company for alleged improper collection of taxes
- Obtaining favorable summary judgment ruling from the District Court, and affirmance of that ruling on appeal from the Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, on behalf of national telecommunications provider in dispute with advertising agency over termination of contract, as well as later award of fees and costs from the District Court under applicable fee-shifting provision in contract
- Obtaining favorable ruling from the Bankruptcy Court on behalf of regional wireless telecommunications provider in dispute with FCC regarding valuation of FCC issued licenses
- Representation of national telecommunications provider in multi-million dollar dispute with third-party provider of outsourced services related to construction of cell towers throughout the country, including successful resolution of dispute through participation in private mediation prior to initiation of formal litigation
- Obtaining favorable ruling from the Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, reversing entry of summary judgment by District Court against owners of trucking company for “withdrawal liability” under ERISA
- Northwestern University, J.D., cum laude, 1995
- Northwestern University, B.A. in economics and political science, 1992
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit