Jonathan Cooper is a principal in the firm’s Commercial Finance Group. He has represented both institutional lenders and borrowers in all facets of commercial finance transactions, including senior secured asset-based and cash-flow transactions, first lien, second lien, unitranche and mezzanine positions, as well as in workouts and restructurings.
Mr. Cooper has significant experience conducting international commercial finance transactions for a wide range of clients, primarily focusing on Europe and the Americas. He frequently gives presentations regarding international finance and has written several articles on the subject. Jon is a past Chair of the American Bar Association Subcommittee on Cross Border and Trade Finance.
Mr. Cooper has worked with UNCITRAL (the trade division of the United Nations) in connection with UNCITRAL'S work to develop a Secured Transaction Guide, which provides a comprehensive blueprint for countries wishing to modernize their secured transactions regimes. As part of this project, he has helped draft significant portions of the Guide, made presentations at the UN and attended several UN working group meetings.
Before joining Goldberg Kohn, Mr. Cooper was an in-house lawyer at a multinational telecommunications manufacturer, conducting international finance transactions. His in-house experience included corporate issues such as mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property matters, and general corporate matters. Prior to pursuing his legal career, he was an auditor at a major accounting firm. He is a certified public accountant.
Mr. Cooper is admitted to practice in Illinois. He was named by Chambers USA 2015 as a leading lawyer in the United States in Banking & Finance. He received his law degree, cum laude, in 1994 from Northwestern University and his undergraduate degree in 1990 with high distinction from University of Michigan.
- May 27, 2016
- May 19, 2015
- May 23, 2014Chambers USA 2014
- May 28, 2013
- June 8, 2012
- Goldberg Kohn Recognized in 2011 Chambers Global and Chambers USA as a Top Law Firm in the United StatesJune 10, 2011
- June 16, 2010
- Goldberg Kohn and Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen co-hosted the Commercial Finance Association's first International Asset-Based Lending Workshop in ChicagoApril 18, 2007
- July 2012The Secured Lender
- July 1, 2010The Secured Lender
- May 1, 2010The Secured Lender
- July 15, 2009The Secured Lender
- July 16, 2008The Secured Lender
- August 1, 2001Reproduced with permission from "The Secured Lender," published by the Commercial Finance Association, www.cfa.com
- June 1, 2001Reproduced with permission from "The Secured Lender," published by the Commercial Finance Association, www.cfa.com
- July 1, 2000
- June 1, 1999Reproduced with permission from "The Secured Lender," published by the Commercial Finance Association, www.cfa.com
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- October 6, 2016
- Jonathan Cooper Presents at the American Bar Association (ABA) Business Law Section Annual Meeting Regarding Intercreditor AgreementsSeptember 18, 2015
- April 6, 2015
- November 14, 2014
- Jonathan Cooper and Joe Zizzo Speak at the Commercial Finance Association's Loan Documentation WorkshopMay 6, 2014
- June 14, 2011
- October 20, 2010
- June 3, 2010
- Principals Richard Kohn and Jonathan Cooper Present on Cross-Border Loans at ABA Business Law MeetingApril 22, 2010
- Principals Jonathan Cooper and David Dranoff Speak at the Commercial Finance Association's Advanced Legal Issues WorkshopJanuary 13, 2010
- April 16, 2009
- March 25, 2009
- Principals Richard Kohn and Jonathan Cooper to Speak at the CFA Spring Conference re Mexican Lending and Work-out IssuesMarch 11, 2009
- March 2, 2009
- March 5-6, 2008
- February 14, 2008
- Principal Jonathan Cooper to speak at the 4th Annual Global Asset Based Lending in the Capital Markets SummitSeptember 20 - September 21, 2007
- Jonathan Cooper and Noah Weiss speak at the Illinois Paralegal Association Fall Education ConferenceOctober 12 - 13, 2006