Oscar Alcantara is the Chair of the Intellectual Property Group at Goldberg Kohn. His practice focuses on trademark, copyright, advertising law, and the right of publicity.
Mr. Alcantara handles intellectual property and advertising matters for clients with litigation, transactional and consultation needs. He assists clients in maintaining their worldwide portfolios of service-marks and trademarks and also works with them to prosecute new service-mark and trademark registrations in the United States and abroad. He advises clients on the legal issues surrounding their advertising, including false advertising issues, right of publicity issues and promotions and marketing regulation. He also assists clients in negotiating and documenting business transactions involving intellectual property, including distribution agreements, royalty bearing license and assignments of intellectual property.
Mr. Alcantara also assists clients in trademark litigation and false advertising disputes in federal court and before the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus (NAD). He has handled cases involving product counterfeiters and illegally imported goods, false advertising disputes, trade-dress and copyright infringement litigation, right of publicity disputes, domain name cyber-squatting and typo-piracy litigation, meta-tag disputes, copyright joint-authorship claims for accounting, grey goods litigation, hold-over licensees, consumer deception litigation, and other forms of trademark and copyright infringement.
Mr. Alcantara serves as an expert consultant to the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) on issues relating to intellectual property and finance. He has also presented on intellectual property and advertising law topics before the International Trademark Association (INTA); UNCITRAL; the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO); the FindLaw Corporate Counsel Center; the Practising Law Institute (PLI); the Defense Research Institute (DRI); the American International Toy Fair; the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA); the Chicago Bar Association; and the Northwestern University Corporate Counsel Center's Symposium on Intellectual Property Law.
He has authored numerous articles, including:
- Co-author, “The Right of Publicity,” The Licensing Journal (January 2004).
- “Termination of Licenses: What Happens to License Rights if a Termination Was Wrongful,” The Licensing Journal (September 2003).
- “The Sale of Trademarked Inventory in Bankruptcy: Pitfalls for Trademark Owners,” International Trademark Association (May 2003).
- “The Dilution of the Federal Trademark Dilution Act,” For the Defense (August 2001).
- “The Legend of Avalon: Perfection In Unregistered Copyrights May Not Be Possible,” CBA Record (January 1998).
- Co-author, “Ownership of Health Information in the Information Age,” Journal of the American Health Information Management Association (March 1998).
- Co-author, “Trademark Infringement on the Internet,” Market Focus: Toys (May/June 1997).
As a Steering Committee member for the International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition’s TRIPs Compliance Project, Mr. Alcantara helped draft an international trademark enforcement report that was presented to the Office of the United States Trade Representative. He has served on the board of Meritas Law Firms Worldwide, where he also served as chair of the Intellectual Property Section. Mr. Alcantara is also a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.
Mr. Alcantara is admitted to practice in the state courts of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Mr. Alcantara received his law degree, cum laude, from the University of Michigan in 1993 and his A.B., magna cum laude, in history and literature from Harvard University in 1990.
- June 11, 2015
- January 13, 2014
- May 2011Chicago Lawyer
- June 1, 2001Reproduced with permission from "The Secured Lender," published by the Commercial Finance Association, www.cfa.com
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- University of Michigan, J.D., cum laude, 1993
- Harvard University, A.B., magna cum laude, 1990
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit