On Thursday, July 16, 2020, Goldberg Kohn Labor & Employment principal Jon Klinghoffer is presenting a webinar on the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act.
Since 1988, the WARN Act and various state laws have sought to protect workers from sudden layoffs by requiring certain employers to give advance notice of plant closings and/or mass layoffs of employees.
Jon's presentation will address:
- How the Federal WARN Act works and its requirements
- Various state mini-WARN Act rules and nuances to take into account
- Understanding the difference between layoffs and furloughs
- Plant closing vs. a mass layoff and how to handle each
- Navigating the 30- and 90-day look back periods that can create pitfalls
- Considerations to take into account as you extend furloughs
- Proactive strategies to minimize WARN Act liability